FYI This has nothing to do with the 4 new episodes. No spoilers. No commentary. No acknowledgement…
Unless you have been living under a rock for the past year or so you know that Gilmore Girls is getting revived, or has been revived I should say. Now I’m a huge fan and avid Team Logan member. I love me some Gilmore Girls. I’ve been impatiently waiting for the revival. I started watching the new episodes at exactly midnight complete with tater tots, pizza, chicken nuggets and doughnuts. I was even wearing a In Omnia Paratus sweatshirt. To prepare I binge watched all 7 seasons for the umpteenth time. But while I was watching the original episodes it dawned on me that if Luke and Lorelai did end up married they would need a prenup and here is why:
- They both own their own businesses. With Lorelai’s Dragonfly and Luke’s Diner these are assets the probably want to protect in case of a divorce and a prenup can help with that.
- They each have a child from a separate relationship. As much as we would love to forget about April we can’t. A prenup is a great way for each of them to protect assets they want their children to have.
- Lorelai owns her home. Lorelai has that super cute house way before Luke. That may be something she wants to protect as her own.
- Lorelai will inherit from her parents. Richard and Emily are loaded, we all know that. And with Lorelai being their only child it’s safe to say that she will inherit their fortune. Now normally, inheritances are considered separate property unless there is some comingling. So a prenup may be a good idea.
- They don’t have the most stable relationship. They pinned for each other for a long time. They got together. They broke up. They got engaged. They broke up. And last we see them they are kissing at Luke’s. So yeah, with that track record they need a prenup.